Monday, June 27, 2016

Triangulating Evidence - Formal Interview Attempt

I have been distracted from blogging but am trying to catch up and am back to trying to deprivatize my practice more. And so, I am resolved to blog about my assessment practices (including failures and questions) and hope that I can spark conversation, collect some feedback, and crowd source some ideas. So I have one request - if you are reading these entries, please share them with someone else and/or comment at the bottom and join the conversation. :) The first entry from this series can be found here.

I this entry I would like to share my first formal attempt at integrating conversation (via an interview) into my class.

As part of the Peel Teacher Assessment Working Team (PTAWT) we discussed triangulated evidence and worked together to create something to use this semester. At the time my Grade 9 students were in the middle of their Ecojar labs and had been asked to write a lab report and to do some research about the impacts they were studying in the local ecosystems. It was getting late in the semester so decided it would make sense to take the research part out of the report and try it as an interview.

I worked with a couple of others at the PTAWT meeting and we checked the Overarching Learning Goals (OLGs) that the assignment aligned with, pulled out the specific learning goals, and then created a Google Form to use to record the interviews. It was a good experience and it gave me another chance to use my Learning Map to make sure we were doing things that would align with our plan. Below are the questions that I used:

1. Student Name (in the future I would do this with a drop down menu so I can reuse and use an add-on to get the data to go into a student file instead of an assignment file to make reporting easier)

2. Wondering?
What are you wondering as a result of working on this lab?

3. Observations
Would you change the observations you chose? Why or why not?

4. Research - Pros/Cons
What have you found out about your impact in Ontario? What are we doing? Do things seem like they may change in the future?

5. Research - Appropriate?
What sources did you use to find your info? Why did you choose them? (What have you found out about your impact in Ontario? What are we doing? Do things seem like they may change in the future?)

No comments:

Post a Comment